Friday, August 24, 2007

#77: 10...9...8......

I'm half-tempted to embed Europe's "The Final Countdown" into this post, but I don't want to turn anyone away. If you'd prefer, go ahead and summon that tune into your mental jukebox.

Right now, the Pirates are only 11 losses away from making their 15th consecutive losing season official. With 36 games remaining, the Bucs would have to finish a vastly improbable 26-10 just to pull what Milwaukee did two seasons ago to break their franchise's streak: break even.

Think:

Two consecutive stretches of 13-5 baseball.

Or:

A 72.2% winning percentage over the final stretch.

Or:

It ain't gonna happen.

Last year, I ran Baby Pool of sorts as to when the Pirates would either win their 63rd or lose their 100th game.

I wanna play again, but I didn't get a great response. I'm not wealthy enough to pony up and have "Steeltown Sports" T-shirts made up (or some other prize). I really want to, though.

On what date will the Pirates lose their 82nd game and secure the 15th consecutive losing season?

Play along for bragging rights. I say loss #82 comes on September 12th. The last game of the next-to-last homestand against Milwaukee. I forsee a massive dropoff in play over the next 2.5 weeks. They'll end with 94 losses, one game better than last season.

And, if, by some divine intervention, the Pirates break even (or better?!?), I will print those T-shirts anyway and send one to everybody who plays.

C'mon! You've got nothing to lose!

=============

My absence from the blogosphere lately is mainly a by-product of getting used to a new computer system at the radio station (which is usually the spot from where I throw in my two cents' worth).

Do check back every so often, though. Either this coming Thursday (Aug. 30th) or next (Sep. 6), will be the 2nd annual WMBS NFL Preview roundtable. 3 guys. 32 teams. 45 minutes. I'll keep you informed of any updates.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be the relatively optimistic one and say we'll play respectably and clinch the losing season on the 22nd at Wrigley. Hopefully Kendall catches. That would be a nice irony considering this is the last year of us picking up part of his salary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_IKcMl_a9A The hair. THE HAIR.

8/24/2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger karri said...

Alright, I'll play Mike.

Ok...Pirates as of today (9-3-07) are 60 and 77...

5 losses to go...

I'll wager that they will lose game #82 on the 10th of September...The first game of the next-to-last homestand against Milwaukee.

;)

9/04/2007 1:51 AM  
Blogger karri said...

Ok...Pirates as of today (9-8-07) are 62 and 80...

2 losses to go...in 2 days...hahaha

Can they do it for me?

But...Pirates relieve Littlefield of duties...FINALLY!!!

9/08/2007 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home