Pittsburgh-based Sports Talk & Analysis That Leaves The Conflict On The Field. E-mail at SteeltownMike (at) yahoo (dot) com, or follow "Steeltown_Mike" on Twitter.
Saturday, February 26, 2011
#189: Let the (Spring Training) Games Begin
---SSL Broadcast #30---
First of all, please click on the banner for my fine sponsor, Sports Events International. If you need tickets to a hard-to-get-into sports, theater or concert event, SEI should be your first stop, because it will often be your last.
Topics on the show:
- Listen for the epic editing gaffe (or NON-editing gaffe) in the intro. I could have fixed it for the archive, but it's just too good to be true.
- Penguins will be formidable in the playoffs because of Bylsma's puck-possession system. How much do they need Crosby?
- Pitt basketball round-up.
- Pirates clobber college team, await first Major League Spring Training opponent.
I'm pretty sure that the police code for an unauthorized life termination is "187", so I guess that's appropriate for the post which follows the Pittsburgh Steelers loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.
Topics on the show:
- Who is the scapegoat for the Steelers' loss? Is there even a clear winner?
- Crosby should take as much time as he needs to recover from his concussion.
- Pitt is in for a very tough time against Villanova on the hardwood.
- Final score for NFL picks made on the air, after picking the Packers to cover the 2.5 point spread: 23 Right, 22 Wrong. Still abysmal, but at least it's over 50% (that still fails in school).
It all comes down to one game. At least for this year. Before I go into this week's broadcast...
I received an e-mail this week from a group that produces Bhangra-style music (region of India). They're called BlackMahal and they produced a video for a song called "Black, Gold, and Silver". I presume the "silver" represents the Lombardi trophy. The music is not for all tastes (I enjoy it, personally), but the video... Oh, it's worth it just to see the video footage of the late Myron Cope in the M.C. Hammer pants. Double Yoi.
Now, to this week's show. What could it possibly be about?
- Steelers and Packers, for all the marbles.
- Quickies with Pitt, WVU, Pirates and Penguins.
- Plentiful phone calls and a few caller predictions.
- The last NFL Pick. I am honestly surprised how many people have asked me in advance for my pick. I didn't know I was that popular, especially after a 22-22 record on the air for the season (including playoffs) for the year (pretty pathetic, in my opinion). So, just one pick to finish the year a winner. One pick to rule them all, one pick to find them... Uhm... Never mind...